Burnhouse Lochan Fishery – Weekly Report: 30.10.20 – 06.11.20
The Autumnal weather could not have been more variant this week! From stunning flat calms where the fish could be seen feeding just below the surface and big bow waves causing excitement! To horizontal rain and gale force winds where only the brave and hardened ventured out!
The best days fishing came in the worst weather conditions, when not one angler blanked, and the most impressive fish of the week were caught! Sometimes it pays off to live on the wild side!
There is a large holding of fish in the shallower water at the bridge, perhaps due to the brownies spawning in the burn. Buzzers, stalking bugs, and mini eggs bringing the most success in the shallows. In the deeper water whites and brights have been the key to success.
FISH OF THE WEEK – This week’s top spot goes to WILLIAM SMYLIE with his new P.B, a very impressive 13lb rainbow! His reward for braving the most horrific weather conditions! Well done, William.
FLIES OF THE WEEK – This week’s top 3 flies were shimmies, eggs, and stalking bugs. Other successful flies were bloodworms, wotsits, black lures, gold & black lure, olive worm, shimmy bugs, blobs, cormorants, Sunburst Ally McCoist, olive snatcher, fabs, orange lure, Alex Ferguson, pink squirmy worm, orange fritz, green & black lures, buzzers, green & black cruncher, yellow dancer, viva, silver humongous, black dancer, okay dokey and a pink lure.
- TOBY ROUGHTON safely returned 1 rainbow, around 6lb caught using a silver humongous on a floating line.
- JIM DOWNIE had a very enjoyable first visit to Burnhouse, he safely returned 6 rainbows, caught using a yellow dancer and a viva on a floating line with a long leader.
- KENNY DOWNIE was delighted with the fight he got from the tiger he caught using a black and green cruncher on a floating line.
- JOHN DOWNIE weighed in 2 fish for an impressive 12lb 9oz, caught using an orange mini egg on a floating line.
- KEVIN WILSON safely returned 3 rainbows of immaculate condition, caught using a pink egg under a sight indicator.
- ANDREW GIBB on his first visit to Burnhouse safely returned 9 rainbows including 2 over 9lb, he caught these using buzzers and an orange mini egg on a floating line. “What a lovely fishery, I will definitely be back!”
- JOHN McKAY safely returned 3 rainbows, caught using a bloodworm on a floating line.
- ARCHIE MCLAREN broke his run of bad luck which seen him lose all the fish he hooked into on his last 2 visits! He safely returned 1 rainbow, caught using a green & black lure on a floating line. He shouted over to us laughing “I finally got one in the net!”
- BRIAN McCLUCKIE safely returned 2 rainbows including 1 around 8lb, caught using a green wotsit on a floating line.
- STUART PEACH safely returned 1 blue and 4 rainbows including 1 at 11lb 5oz, all were caught using a green wotsit on a floating line.
- ROBERT RANKIN weighed in 1 fin perfect rainbow for 4lb 5oz, caught using an orange fritz on a floating line.
- WILLIAM SMYLIE weighed in 1 rainbow for 3lb 3oz caught, using an Alex Ferguson on a floating line, he also safely returned the fish of the week, his new P.B and he was ecstatic! A stunning 13lb rainbow caught using a pink squirmy worm.
- RONNIE TURNBULL braved the torrential rain and winds, he safely returned 3 rainbows, caught using a fab and an orange lure on a floating line.
- JIMMY MILLER safely returned an 8lb tiger, caught using an olive snatcher on a floating line. What a fish! Well done, Jimmy!
- GORDON McVICAR safely returned a beautiful 2lb wild brown, caught using a sunburst Ally McCoist on a floating line.
- JOE MURPHY deserves a medal! He casted directly into horizontal rain and gale force winds to get to the fish. He would not let the weather beat him and he was rewarded with 3 rainbows, caught using a cormorant and a millennium bug on a floating line. On his return visit in calmer weather he safely returned 2 rainbows, caught using a white stalking bug on a floating line.
- BRIAN EADIE safely returned 6 rainbows, caught using a white shimmy under a sight indicator.
- ALFIE STRACHAN safely returned 1 rainbow caught, using a white shimmy under a sight indicator.
- KEVIN MOATT weighed in 1 rainbow for 4lb 4oz caught, using a white shimmy on a floating line.
- CHARLES DEVINE safely returned 1 rainbow caught, using a pink egg drifted under a sight indicator.
- SCOTT ANDERSON “redeemed himself” after a run of bad luck he safely returned 5 rainbows, caught using a white stalking bug and an orange egg on a floating line.
- AARON KIRKWOOD safely returned 4 rainbows and 1 tiger caught, using an orange egg, orange blob and a pink lure. He also lost a larger tiger right at the net, to say he was disappointed would be an understatement.
- ROBERT GRANGER safely returned 3 rainbows and 1 tiger, caught using a green and yellow stalking bug, green and white shimmy and a pink egg fished under a sight indicator. The conversation between him and a fellow angler had May in “stitches” when he caught his tiger! Robert “what’s this fish it’s got stripes all over it! I think it’s a tiger!” Ally “watch it doesn’t bite!” Brilliant!
- STEVEN McGOWAN had another amazing day at Burnhouse he safely returned 12 rainbows caught using various shimmy bugs under a sight indicator. “Well worth a visit!” He wrote on a review. Thank you, Steven.
- JOHN BOYLE enjoyed his visit to Burnhouse, he safely returned 4 rainbows caught using a white shimmy under a sight indicator.
- GRAEME BELL started his day with the worst luck after arriving at the fishery with a flat tyre. He left with a smile on his face though, after just a few hours on the water he ended his day with 4 rainbows ranging between 6lb and 10lb caught using an olive worm and a yellow stalking bug on a floating line.
- DEREK GRAHAM safely returned a tiger and a beautiful brown trout, caught using a black lure and a gold and black lure both of his own design.
- TONY STEEN weighed in 2 rainbows for 7lb 3oz, caught using an orange wotsit on a floating line.
- ALLY McMAHON enjoyed his first visit to Burnhouse, he safely returned 5 rainbows all giving “a great fight!” All were caught using a blood worm of his own design. “This is a Lovely fishery; it has so much going for it! I will definitely be back!” Hope to see you soon Ally.
- ANDY BROWN safely returned 1 rainbow, caught using a black and green lure that he had tied up the night before.
- WULLIE CARR weighed in 1 rainbow for 3lb 9oz, caught using a black blood worm on a floating line.
- JONNO McDONALD safely returned 5 rainbows, caught using a black dancer, an orange egg, an okay dokey and a traffic light buzzer all on a floating line with a slow figure of 8 retrieve.
IMPORTANT COVID-19 REGULATIONS – PLEASE READ
Please adhere to the following:
- We will be operating a strict booking in only policy. This allows us to limit the number of anglers arriving, using our facilities, and fishing our water; it also enables a better track and trace. Please phone 07949 220 511 to book your space.
- If you feel unwell or show any symptoms of COVID-19 please cancel your booking, stay at home and isolate.
- We will be issuing tickets from the window on the lodge.
- Refreshments are still available via the window, gloves and masks will be worn by staff and strict hygiene standards implemented during the handling.
- ALL anglers MUST use the hand sanitising station before approaching the window. The station will be cleaned by staff after every use. Disposable gloves are also available for anyone who wishes that extra bit of protection.
- We ask that our anglers bring the exact money to avoid change being required. All ticket prices can be found on our website or upon request on telephone enquiries.
- Toilets will be thoroughly cleaned on an hourly basis, though we also ask that anglers use the antibacterial wipes and toilet brushes provided to clean up after their own use.
- Please adhere to the social distancing guidelines.
- We would hate for anything to be traced back to our beloved sport, so let us work together to keep it as safe as possible for all participants.
Despite the typical, Scottish, temperamental, autumnal weather it has been a great week here at Burnhouse. Remember the Autumn weather may be awful, but the fishing is not!
Thank you to all our anglers, we look forward to seeing you again!
Stay safe and tight lines for the week ahead!