Burnhouse Lochan Fishery – Weekly Report: 20.11.20 – 27.11.20
Week one of the new restrictions have seen us a lot quieter than normal. We have been using this time to do some essential repairs to the bridge, paths, and podiums so that when our regulars can return, they return in both safer times and to a safer fishery!
Our kingfisher has been making the most of the peace and quiet too, spending most of his day at the fishery leaving anglers in awe of his stealth and beauty.
The weather has been a lot more settled in contrast to the last few blustery weeks, though still mild for this time of the year! We are still seeing temperatures mild enough for sedges! We could not believe there were so many last week, this week there are still as many!
The doubles have all evaded capture this week, there have been many broken lines, hearts and even rods! If you hook into one of our doubles, do not bully it, there will be only one winner and unfortunately it will not be you!
FISH OF THE WEEK – This week’s top spot goes to ROSS MORRISON who safely returned a stunning 9lb 2oz fin perfect rainbow. Well done, Ross!
FLIES OF THE WEEK – This week’s top 3 flies were BUZZERS, WOTSITS and APPS BLOODWORMS.
Other successful flies were stalking bugs, clink hammer, green fritz, orange lure, green eggstacy worm, fab, cut throat cat, eggs, yellow blob, green wobbler, pin fry imitation, black dancer, squirmy worms, shimmies, okay dokey, orange fritz and an orange dancer.
CATCHES OF THE WEEK
- MICHAEL WHITE – safely returned 4 rainbows, caught using a pink apps bloodworm, buzzers and a stalking bug fished static under a sight indicator.
- DAVE MCTAGGERT – safely returned 2 rainbows, caught using buzzers on a floating line.
- JOHN McCULLOCH – had “a great day”, he safely returned 7 rainbows, caught using a klink hammer and buzzers on a floating line.
- BRAIN McCLUCKIE – has found “his second home!” After another successful visit to Burnhouse, he safely returned 4 rainbows, caught using an apps bloodworm fished static under a sight indicator.
- STUART PEACH – safely returned 4 rainbows, caught using various wotsits fished static under a sight indicator. Stuart also lost a double!
- ARTHUR PEACH – had “the best days fishing he’s had for years!” He weighed in 2 rainbows for 9lb 7oz, caught using a green wotsit fished static under a sight indicator. He also lost a double figure rainbow when his knot failed, a knot tied by his son, there was cries of sabotage and much hilarity!
- JIMMY McKENZIE – weighed in 2 rainbows for 6lb 9oz, caught using a green fritz on a floating line.
- GREG MARSHALSEY – enjoyed his first visit to Burnhouse! Using an orange lure on a floating line, he caught his first ever tiger and at 6lb 2oz it was a beauty! He was blown away by the fight that saw him unable to get the tiger up off the bottom for over 5 minutes.
- ROSS MORRISON – cannot wait to get back to Burnhouse after his first visit! He safely returned 4 rainbows including one weighing 9lb 2oz. He was using a green eggstacy worm fished static under a sight indicator.
- HENRY SOBELEWSKI – safely returned 4 rainbows, caught using a fab on a floating line. “What do you feed the fish in here? Steroids? They don’t want to come in!” Safe to say he was very impressed by the quality of our grade A fish!
- AARON KIRKWOOD – safely returned an 8lb rainbow, caught using a cutthroat cat on an intermediate line. “Beautiful big tail! Great condition!”
- DECLAN WINTERS – who had not fished Burnhouse for several years had 2 “brilliant” visits this week. His first seen him safely return 14 fish! Including 9lb, 7lb & 6lb rainbows and 1 blue. “This place is brilliant! The fish fight like salmon!” His second visit seen him safely return 6 fish including 8lb and 7lb rainbows. Apps bloodworms, various eggs and wotsits all fished static under a sight indicator proved to be very successful for him.
- BARRY PRENTISE – who is new to fly fishing safely returned 1 rainbow, caught using a yellow blob on a floating line.
- IAN PRENTISE – weighed in 3 rainbows for 10lb 4oz, caught using a green wobbler on a floating line.
- ALAN SMITH – safely returned 1 rainbow, caught using his small pin fry imitation that never fails him.
- GORDON MCVICAR – still has a sore wrist from the fight he got from his tiger last week! He safely returned 2 rainbows this week, caught using a black dancer on a floating line.
- IAN DON – safely returned 2 rainbows, caught using a pink squirmy fished static under a sight indicator. After an epic fight, Ian lost a double figure rainbow right at the net, we estimated this fish to be around 14lb-15lb! He was gutted but like a true champ he said, “well that’s just fishing!”
- IAN DOBBIE – safely returned 2 rainbows, caught using an orange squirmy fished static under a sight indicator.
- GARY SNEDDON – safely returned an 8lb rainbow, caught using an orange fritz on a floating line. “What a fish lass! Great fight!”
- JONNO McDONALD – safely returned 3 rainbows, caught using an orange dancer on a floating line. Jonno was another who lost a double figure rainbow. He also caught the first eel to be caught at Burnhouse for several years, this fell for his green egg fished static under a sight indicator. He took great pleasure in shouting May over to see it, knowing May has a “slight” fear of them.
- MAY ANDERSON – safely returned 4 rainbows, caught using an okay dokey and a pink shimmy fished static under a sight indicator.
- SANDY KIRKWOOD – I never usually mention blanks but Sandy had what other anglers would class as a horrible day! He lost every fish he hooked into including 2 big fish, one a double! Sandy is the kind of guy that lifts everyone’s spirits, a real joy to be around! At the end of his day he said, “I’ve had such a great day, I really enjoyed that!” What a guy! That is the spirit of a true angler, enjoying your day no matter what!
With the tightening of COVID-19 restrictions and continued Tier Level 3 and 4 level areas to our surroundings – please note:
- We can only accept anglers from our Tier Level 3 Falkirk area. This means for the time being saying goodbye, for now, to some of our regulars, and we are as disappointed as you are.
- However, this is in the best interest of our anglers and staff. If we do our best to limit the spread now, the quicker we can get back to enjoying the things we love in life. We look forward to welcoming you all back, in safer times!
- Online bookings have been suspended temporarily, please call 07949220511 to book your session. This is to allow us to monitor where our anglers are travelling from. ALL ANGLERS MUST BOOK IN ADVANCE.
Important COVID-19 Regulations – please read:
Please adhere to the following:
- We will be operating a strict booking in only policy. This allows us to limit the number of anglers arriving, using our facilities, and fishing our water; it also enables a better track and trace. Please phone 07949 220 511 to book your space.
- If you feel unwell or show any symptoms of COVID-19 please cancel your booking, stay at home and isolate.
- We will be issuing tickets from the window on the lodge.
- Refreshments are still available via the window, gloves and masks will be worn by staff and strict hygiene standards implemented during the handling.
- ALL anglers MUST use the hand sanitising station before approaching the window. The station will be cleaned by staff after every use. Disposable gloves are also available for anyone who wishes that extra bit of protection.
- We ask that our anglers bring the exact money to avoid change being required. All ticket prices can be found on our website or upon request on telephone enquiries.
- Toilets will be thoroughly cleaned on an hourly basis, though we also ask that anglers use the antibacterial wipes and toilet brushes provided to clean up after their own use.
- Please adhere to the social distancing guidelines.
- We would hate for anything to be traced back to our beloved sport, so let us work together to keep it as safe as possible for all participants.
Stay safe and tight lines for the week ahead!